Saturday, May 19, 2007

Maple Syrup Cupcakes

Do I realise that it is almost Winter? Well I do now, it is only a couple of weeks away and my favourite season - Autumn has just about passed me by. I need a cupcake warm, tasty not too sweet, and I wan to try a new recipe so I tried the Maple Syrup Cupcake. Delicious cupcakes based on the most scrumptious 'Camp' Maple Syrup. These cupcakes despite the 2 cups of maple syrup in the recipe are not overly sweet and are perfect with a cup of coffee or a strong tea.




Quite a dense cupcake, topped with cooked maple marshmallow frosting, sprinkled with brown sugar. The original recipe 'Maple Walnut Delights' in Cupcakes Galore by Gail Wagman. To which the only change I made is the removal of the walnuts, not my favourite.


Maple (Walnut) Cupcakes


2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour


3 teaspoons baking powder


1/2 teaspoons salt


1/2 cup/1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp


1/2 cups brown sugar


2 eggs


1 cup maple syrup


1/2 cup milk


1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)



  1. Preheat oven to 350oC.

  2. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.

  3. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Alternatively add dry ingredients and syrup and milk, blending well after each addition. (Fold in walnuts).

  4. Spoon batter into cupcake papers, filling cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a tested into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.

Maple Meringue Icing



2 egg whites


Pinch of salt


1 cup maple syrup


1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1/2 cup chopped walnuts (for decoration)


or


some extra brown sugar for sprinkling



  1. To make icing: beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until peaks start to form. Set aside.

  2. Boil maple syrup until if forms a soft ball when dropped into a glass of water (about 234oF on a candy thermometer). The time will depend on the maple syrup you are using but should be about 5 - 10 minutes. Remove from heat immediately. Slowly pour the hot syrup into the egg whites, beating constantly. The hot syrup actually cooks the egg whites. Add vanilla and continue beating until mixture is stiff and stands in soft peaks.

  3. Ice the cooled cupcakes, forming peaks with the back of a spoon or a fork (I piped mine in swirls). Sprinkle with crushed walnuts or brown sugar before the icing hardens. It will harden on the outside and remain soft and creamy inside.

Note:



  • Make sure your oven temp is correct otherwise the cupcakes can dry out.

  • The recipe says you'll make about 18 cupcakes but I got 24.

10 comments:

Anita said...

They look so beautiful like little snowy sculptures! Your creativity with cupcakes is amazing!

Steph said...

these look great! and delicious!!

Unknown said...

what a coincidence, i just did a maple bacon cupcake. have to say that the meringue on that looks amazing!

cupcaketastic said...

Thanks Anita, I am not quite as adventurous as some - not naming and names Garret. But your a Daring Baker so I really can't compete.

Garret - I saw yours and was too lost for words. I still haven't gotten used to the idea that over in the US you put bacon and maple syrup together or on top of french toast. I am going to try them soon, I have the bacon, the sugar and salt but all I need is the Maple its quite pricey over here.

Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Amrita said...

Amazing! really really spectacular!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

where are you from? i'm from USA and it's almost summer here :)

cupcaketastic said...

I'm in Australia and we have just hit Winter. Where I am we only get down to less than 0 Celcius at night and not that often, its usually around 10 Celcius during the day.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Your cupcakes look fantastic!
What a lovely blog you have!

cupcaketastic said...

Thanks Patricia, your corn fudge looks interesting, I'm going to have to explore that further.

Anty Harton said...

Hi, I'm thinking to try your recipe but I notice you wrote 350 degrees C, is that correct? Or you meant 180C?
I don't want to make a mistake with the oven temperature after your warning that the cake might dry out.
Thanks a lot.